Saturday, December 2, 2017

The Little Things

I realize more and more that in life, people sweat the small stuff.  They worry about things that don't matter.  They make a big deal out of issues that won't be there in the long run.  I fall victim to this as well.

Why do we do this?

I have a strong spiritual base.  I always have.  My parents taught me from a young age that spiritual things are important but I think it goes even deeper than that.  I feel that I was born with a strong need  for spiritual things.

This is what balances me; grounds me; helps me.  

When I get caught up in things that don't really matter I try to look at things with an eternal perspective.  I will see something or read something that puts things back into perspective for me and my viewpoint changes.

When someone hurts my feelings I can choose not to be offended.  When I get angry about this or that I can take a deep breath and be grateful for the many blessings that I have.  This will help the frustration subside and I can look at things objectively again.

Life is too short to be bugged about things.  We all have many gifts that we have been given.  We can bring out the good in others and make heavy situations light.

This month in December I especially feel the need to be kinder and more giving.  On LDS.org there is a 25 days of light program that interests me and that I am trying to be a part of.  Basically it is trying to do one act of kindness for 25 days straight.

I started yesterday.  I went to Target and bought socks.  I then drove down a street known for homeless people and searched out someone to give them to.  (everyone can use clean new socks)
I saw this lady sitting on the curb.  I could tell that she was homeless.  I confess that I was awkward and scared to talk to her.  Not because I thought she would be harmful but because I felt like my gift would be rejected, or that I would be rejected.  I know this sounds ridiculous but it was how I felt and I sat in my car a good five minutes building up the nerve to get out.

Her name was Paige.  She was around 55 years old and was grateful for the socks.  I sat next to her and chatted for a bit.  I learned many things from her life.  She was lovely.  Tragic that she is living on the street but her personality was open and honest.

I drove away reminded that everyone has a story.  Everyone has a struggle.  Everyone is just trying to live day to day and survive.  We are all trying to survive.

I hope to have many more experiences this month that will bring me out of my comfort zone and help me to grow in areas I need to expand and develop.

1 comment:

the shaws said...

Tread warily don't get out numbered, nine out ten down and outs are good people at heart. My grandma used to say everyone becomes servility including the lowest tramp. ❤
We were talking to a tramp in Doncaster the other week I asked him how he had finished up in his situation, he told me his story. Then I asked him if he would like some food or money, he replied it is nice that people will feed me but sometimes I would like to buy what I want.
This struck a chord with me, in 1980 we were on strike friends and family gave us food but sometimes I just wish they would have given me some money so that I could get what I wanted. Begars can't be chooses.
I gave him some money and walked on, there but for the grace of God go I.